Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Collaging, Sewing, Inspirations, Spring Fever and more…..

It is a while since I blogged but I have been busy behind the scenes.  Plenty of socializing and outings and a bit of creative sewing and of course the ordinary mundane stuff everyone has to do when they would rather be creating!!!
A funny type of Spring Fever has hit me in the way of a head cold.  It has been so very hot, and having a head cold in the heat is no fun, let me tell you.
  Star Jasmine 2013Star Jasmine in situ 2013
This is one of our magnificent star jasmine plants.  I wish we had smell-a-blog so you could share the scent with me.  The smell reminds me that Melbourne Cup day is coming soon and that summer is fast approaching.

SEWING:
Block keeper for ShirleyBlock Keeper pink
I made this block keeper for my dear friend, Shirley, to store her embroidery pieces in while they are awaiting to be put into her amazing embroidery book. 
The pattern is one I have used before, and is a tutorial my the lovely and delightful Teresa from All Things Vintage.  Pop over and see Teresa’s blog and be inspired to craft more.  She really gets things done!!  Thank you for your wonderful tutorial, Teresa.
COLLAGING:
In the past week I signed up for a fabric collage workshop with Deborah Boschert, “Branches, Buds and Blossoms”.  Things were going swimmingly until the sound jack decided not to work on my computer inside the house.  I have soldiered on and this is the piece so far – just fabric placement at this stage.  It is so much fun!  I can’t wait to embellish it and do some hand stitching on it.
 Final Layout
The final layout before embellishing.
Feature Fabric
The feature fabric.

SOCIALIZING:
The Toowoomba Quilter’s retreat was held on Oct 11-13 and it was fabulous, as usual.  We don’t have to lift a finger, just sit, chat, sew and eat (in any order)… all in a bushland setting. 
At retreat 2013
L-R Debbie, Vicki, Sally and Dianne – yes, me.
The quilt group also ran a bus to the Queensland Quilt show in Brisbane. 
028
This quilt by Olive Claydon won the Viewer’s choice award and well deserved.  All tiny hexagons!!!!  Well done, Olive.  isn’t it amazing???
You can see more of the winners HERE on the Qld Quilters website.
I bought a few goodies but most of it is just card crafting and textile art stuff.  No fabric was purchased (for a change). 
022
These really cool stencils.  A couple of them by Julie Fei-Fan Balzer whose journal work I love.
020
Hemp thread, Acrylic glazes, gold rubbing stuff, acrylic ink sprays, cog wheels stamp and a watercolour pad.  I just wanna PLAY.
In the past week, Shirley and I also visited a display by the local Toowoomba Embroiderer’s Guild and a display by ATASDA (Australian Textile and Surface Design Association). Both very inspiring.
After our visit to the ATASDA display, Shirley and I were inspired to do some botanical dyeing.
More on that later………………Until next time.........Dianne

3 comments:

shirley said...

I am not surprised you are sneezing and snuffling after seeing the prolific jasmin near the house, Di.
Love your "stuff" from the craft and quilt fair. Iwould have voted for that quilt too, it is amazing so much patience to do that.
I checked out Deborah Bocharts page....wow what a clever and creative lady. Would love to do that tutorial.
Thank you again for my wonderful gift I just love it to bits.

Marilyn said...

Lovely to catch up on what you have been up to - I was behind in blog reading. Hope you have restored your iron. The jasmine looks beautiful.

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello My Friend Di, The Star Jasmine looks very much like our Sweet Autumn Clematis.. Lovely flowering vine indeed.. It looks like you was having great fun with all your big smile at your annual retreat... very nice block holder you created for Shirley.. Enjoyed seeing all your goodies.. Hugs Judy