Thursday, July 10, 2014

Warming Foods for Cold Days

My DH loves to cook.  This is a good thing – especially when I am having a ‘slack attack’.

He has always wanted to bake bread, so he set to a couple of days ago and took the journey.

035038039

Soooooooooooo happy he did, because ( a ) it was Yummy with a capital Y and ( b ) he wants to make more.

This one was a pull apart with a cheese and herb filling and I wish I could share the aroma of it cooking with you all.

86th birthday

My dear Dad turned 86 on 7 July and my sister and I took some lunch to his house to share with him.  I did a hearty beef casserole and my sister did a soup and his favourite dessert of milky, creamy baked rice and the simple cake dessert with apricot which we used for his candle.  Oh heaven! 

Beef Casserole002

The weather has been cold in the mornings and when the westerly wind comes up the chill factor goes up with it.  My Dad lives on the plains 20 minutes from here and it is ffffffreezing.  It was –1 the morning of his birthday, but the company and food warmed us up.  The delightful Lilian was able to join us too.

My friend, Joan, gifted me a stack of lemons, so of course, I had to do one of our favourite desserts.  It is an easy lemon coconut tart and it is beautiful served with cream, ice cream and blueberries. No calories – ahem.

017

It is basically like the old impossible pie only lemony.  I am sorry I can’t remember where I originally got this recipe.

 

Easy Lemon Coconut Tart:

1` tablespoon grated lemon rind

1/3 cup (80ml) lemon juice

1 cup 220gr caster suger

4 eggs, beaten lightly

1 2/3 cups (410ml) milk

1/2 cup (75g) flour

1 cup (90gr) desiccated coconut

125 g butter, melted (I use about 110 g)

icing sugar

Grease 24cm pie dish.  Combine all ingredients except icing sugar in large bowl; mix well.  Pour mixture into prepared dish.  Bake in moderate oven about 50 minutes or until browned lightly and set.  Cover loosely with foil if over-browning.   Dust with sifted icing sugar.  Serve tart warm with cream and blueberries if desired.  Serves 8

Bella 13 Years

Another birthday at this time of year is our puppy dog.  Bella is now 13 years old, and although her senses are diminished and her legs aren’t carrying her as well as they used to, she is still going along well and is a big part of our family.  She is a border collie cross and if you have ever had one of these dogs you know how faithful they are, and the great temperament they have. 

Red heartRed heartRed heart

It is school holidays and we are looking after Lilian during the day this week while her Mummy is at work.  We are so very proud of our daughter, and the wonderful job she is doing of bringing up Lilian mostly on her own.  Lilian was chuffed when I gave her her very own old book to alter into a little art journal.

010012

011

Her very first page signed and sealed with a heart and hugs.

Until next time – happy creating………………………Dianne.

4 comments:

CJ STITCHING AND BLOOMS said...

Hello DI,

What a Lovely meal you took over to your Dad,s place for his birthday, I am sure he enjoy your company and Lilian too. A very nice photo of you all. Interesting lemon cake. I have never hear of one but it sure did look yummy, AND how super great that your husband made that wonderful looking bread, kevan is definitely a keeper. Smile have a lovely week. Hugs Judy

shirley said...

Yes I agree with Judy Di is a keeper...such a good cook. Your food for your Dads birthday looked and I know tasted yummy.
Lily is a gorgeous little girl and it is evident she is taking after her granny with her creativity. I like the idea of the lemon cake will have to try it.

shirley said...

Forgot to mention Bella...happy birthday Bella you are a lovely part of a lovely family

Marilyn said...

Hello Di, all that warming food looks so delicious. The lemon tart recipe sounds good, must give it a try. Lilian is so absorbed in what she is creating it is so lovely to see.